What’s good my kings? I hope you’re all doing fine. Today we are going to cover an interesting topic. You might’ve already guessed it from the title.
Yes today we are gonna help teach how to make your very own homemade shaving cream. Before you swipe away hear us out. There are actually bloody good reasons why you might wanna switch to homemade shaving creams. Of course you can use store bought shaving creams too.
But why spend so much money when you can have a cheaper and arguably better alternative that you can make sitting right at home. Today we are gonna give you not one, not two but three shaving cream recipes! So hail diversity. No need to get bored in the process. You can always experiment.
Let’s avoid the jibber-jabber and cut right down to the chase. Here we go!
Reasons for Making Homemade Shaving Cream
We can give you a gazillion reasons why you should make your own homemade shaving cream. Starting from being cheaper than store-bought shaving creams to being able to customize the scents, you can have your way with this homemade shaving cream and reap many more benefits. Following are some of the benefits of using homemade shaving cream and why you should make one:
- Healthier for the skin as it’s a natural shaving cream.
- You can avoid harmful toxins and chemicals used in store-bought canned shaving creams or shaving foam. Reducing toxins can have a powerful impact on your overall well-being.
- It will leave your legs, face, or armpits soft.
- Helps you get a much closer shave in contrast to lathered soap
- Reducing toxins can have a powerful impact on your overall well-being.
- Inexpensive and easier to make
- Both men and women can use this
- Can be used anywhere starting from face to legs.
- Protects you from nicks and cuts as it moisturizes your skin
- You can customize the scent meaning choose how it will smell like
- Conditions your hair and helps the blade glide over easily
- Protects against razor bumps
DIY Whipped Shaving Cream
There are recipes you can follow to give your shaving cream a fluff like structure and feel. That means you can also make whipped shaving cream at home. Amazing, right? Follow these guidelines to make your very own whipped shaving cream at home:
Things You’ll Need
Following are the different ingredients and instruments you’ll need to make a whipped shaving cream
- Coconut oil
Coconut oil will hydrate your skin and make the application of this shaving cream easier.
- Mango Butter
This is an excellent moisturizer that adds substance to this shaving cream. It is this essential ingredient that allows shaving cream to be whipped into a smooth and fluffy texture.
- Castile Soap
Castile soap is a vegetable-based natural soap. It helps the shaving cream glide on and prevents it from being too thick.
- Essential oils of your choosing
Choose oil from natural sources like jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil etc. The oil keeps the shaving cream from being too thick
This should be a no brainer. You’ll need this to beat and mix the oil. In other words, whip it into cream
- 4oz/8oz Mason Glass Jar
A mason glass jar is essential to hold heat and not crack.
Follow these steps to make your very own homemade whipped shaving cream
Step 1 – Melt Coconut Oil and Mango Butter
Begin by melting the coconut oil & mango butter You can do this using the mason jar in a pot of boiling water.
Step 2 – Add Essential Oil
Add essential oil like jojoba, grapeseed, avocado, olive etc to the melted mango butter to keep shaving cream from becoming too thick
Step 3 – Stir the Oil and Soap
Stir the oil and soap it to keep the cream glide on preventing it to become too thick
Step 4 – Let it Cool
Let it cool down and allow it to harden. This can take up to an hour
Step 5 – Whip it
Using a mixture or beater, whip the mixture for at least 2 minutes. Afterwards, transfer the cream to a glass jar with a lid.
DIY Shave Butter Recipe
Just like there is a beard balm recipe, there is also a beard butter recipe. There are various DIY beard butter recipes online. So here’s a detailed list of ingredients and things you need to do to make it.
Following are the ingredients you’ll need to make this shave butter recipe.
- 3 tbsp. of Coconut Oil
- 3 tbsp. of Shea Butter
- ⅛ cup Olive Oil
- Optional: Essential Oils (Jojoba Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Avocado Oil etc)
Coconut Oil and Shea butter makes the whip lighter and fluffier. Follow the following steps to make shave butter cream:
- Mix 3 tbsp. of Coconut Oil with 3 tbsp. of Shea Butter in a glass bowl/jar .
- Warm a pot of water in low heat and place the bowl over the hot water. The water will create a steam that warms the ingredients. This will help in melting them
- Once the mixture is completely melted, carefully remove the glass bowl. Make sure to proceed with caution and use protection to avoid burning.
- Add in a few drops of Olive Oil
- Store and cool them in your refrigerator to allow the mixture to harden.
- After a certain period of time and noticeable hardening, remove the mixture from the refrigerator.
- Use a mixer or beater to whip the mixture until it has a frosting-like texture.
- Store the newly made shaving cream in a glass container that is sealed or airtight.
Dry Coconut Oil Shaving Cream
This dry coconut oil shaving cream recipe contains aloe vera and essential oils like lavender and peppermint to give you a tropical experience. Follow these next few guidelines to make dry coconut oil shaving cream sitting right at home
Following are the ingredients you’ll need to make this dry coconut oil shaving cream:
- ¼ cup Aloe Vera
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- 4-5 drops of Peppermint/Lavender Oil
Make sure you follow these directions step by step to make a dry coconut oil shaving cream:
- Mix 1/4 cup of aloe vera with 1/4 cup of coconut oil in a pot
- Heat them up in the pot to melt them
- Add 4-5 drops of peppermint or lavender oil
- Whip them using a mixer to form a mixture
- Keep the mixture in an airtight plastic container.
- Use steam or heat if the mixture is too hard and thus give it a texture.
Remember to use ingredients in this recipe which are kept on their own without any added preservatives. Caution should be kept so that water doesn’t enter the jar or it will spoil everything very quickly. It’s better to pat dry your hands with a towel right after a shower or if it’s wet before putting it in the jar and scooping the cream out.
Benefits of Coconut Oil Shaving
Like traditional shaving creams, there are also certain benefits to shaving while using coconut oil. Following are some of the benefits and reasons you might wanna adopt coconut oil as a part of your shaving routine:
Works like a moisturizer
The fatty acids present in coconut highly moisturizes your skin and also provide it nourishment
Coconut oil works as an antibacterial agent in your skin. It helps kill off bacteria and germs thus allowing a healthy shave
Coconut oil has antioxidant properties meaning it’s great for your skin and hair
Reduces inflammation and Burn
Your skin might start to show redness or itchiness might occur as a result of shaving. This burning sensation is a result of your sensitive skin which causes inflammation. Shaving with coconut oil can reduce this
Coconut oil helps the blade glide over your skin thus preventing you from nicks and cuts and offering a comfortable shaving experience.
Shaving with Coconut Oil
As a bonus we are gonna tell you how to shave using coconut oil. You should remember that coconut oil works quite well on fine hair. So that saves you the trouble of buying shaving cream solely for that. Nevertheless, here’s how you can shave with coconut oil:
- Exfoliate Your Skin
First and foremost step is to exfoliate your skin. This will remove dead cells from your skin and prepare your skin for the shave
- Wash with Lukewarm Water
Rinse or wash the area you’re going to shave with lukewarm water to soften the hair follicles to allow the blades to easily pass
- Apply to a Cleansed Area
Dip your clean fingers into a jar of pure coconut oil and then rub your fingers together. Apply and spread a thin layer of pure coconut oil to a cleansed skin area.
Coconut oil is generally thick at room temperature. So rub between your hands or use the steam of the shower to melt it. Use a coin-sized amount if you’re shaving face or armpits as opposed to a lot more if you’re using it on legs
- Let it Sink in
Wait for a while and allow the coconut oil to sink in and soften the skin. This will improve your shaving experience
- Use a Sharp Razor
Shave the hair follicles with a sharp razor following the proper technique. Shave both along and against the grain to give a close to skin shave
- Rinse Your Razor
Rinse your razor frequently to keep the coconut oil from building up and hairs from clogging it.
- Rinse with Cold Water
After you’re done with shaving, rinse your shaved area with cold water to close the pores. This will help clean out the remaining hairs on your body.
- Apply Coconut Oil After Shaving
You can apply additional coconut oil to your skin after shaving as it provides nourishment for your skin and hair. It helps to soften it and also reduce the burning sensation
So there you have it. You now not only know the basics but also the advanced tips and tricks on how to make homemade shaving creams with different ingredients you have access to at home. Remember to follow all the guidelines step by step to successfully make homemade shaving cream. Keep caution so you don’t spoil the cream stored in the jar with your wet hands.
We are certain you’ll be benefited from our guide. Fret not in case you have any confusions. As always, we always got you covered and here to help you. Don’t forget to share your experience with us. Tell us about your first time using a homemade shaving cream.
Did you use any other recipes than the one we mentioned before? Do you have your own homemade shaving cream recipe? Would you like to share it with us? Please share your thoughts with us