Tattoo art is truly high art. But, it comes with a price; a hefty price in that case: PAIN!
Just imagine the thought of microneedles/blades breaking into your sensitive skin. That would be a horrid scenario.
In a hurry? Check Our Top 3 Recommendation
- INCLUDES: One (1) 4.7-ounce bottle of Aspercreme with Lidocaine Maximum Strength Pain Relief Cream
- RELIEVES PAIN AT THE SOURCE: Topical numbing cream with 4% lidocaine targets more pain receptors* to numb away...
- The secret behind "BEAUTY GAIN WITHOUT PAIN": Microneedling, Microblading, Laser Hair Removal, Epilating,...
- Great gift, will allow him/her prepare for their beauty treatment session at home: Many beauty professionals...
- STOP LIVING IN PAIN because our shingles cream is specially formulated to help heal the skin and relieve the...
- SIDE EFFECT FREE RELIEF: Unlike medicine, our cream comes without the uncomfortable and undesirable side...
But we know what you’re thinking: “Why does it have to be that way?”.
“Why do I have to be ugly stressed to achieve beauty?”
Hold on and give us some ears! Because there is a painless way. It’s actually a common method for relieving you of the ugly stress.
It’s fairly common medically, but it’s practically new for tattoos and other inter-dermal procedures– waxing, surgery, piercing, etc.
Introducing: the Tattoo Numbing Creams! They’re perfect not only for the procedural pains but also for pains from chronic illnesses.
Since not all numbing creams are safe for tattoos, we have listed the top 10 best tattoo numbing creams for your reference.
Sigh! Finally, you can now kiss the pain goodbye and enjoy your tattoo!
Top 10 Best Tattoo Numbing Creams
Odorless and simply effective, Aspercreme’s latest tattoo numbing cream earns the “Top Pick” title among OTC topical analgesics in the market today.
- Well-Rounded Medicine Cabinet
- Non-Greasy & Quick for Comfortable and Easy Use/Application
- With High Concentration of Lidocaine
This best cream/lotion for tattoo pains is easy to apply to the parts of the body where tattoo marks are especially painful. Its soothing feel spreads in an instant across the body as if its on wheels. It felt it the moment I touched its solution with the tip of my fingers.
It particularly eases throbbing pain caused by the piercing of the tattoo needle. Fast-absorbent and almost dry, it doesn’t run off your skin. Strengthened by a Lidocaine main ingredient, it particularly blocks pain receptors. Experts note its sophisticated Lidocaine action. And, there’s no drawback to it. Lidocaine concentration here is in its maximum strength.
As I mentioned earlier, based on my experience, it’s totally fast-acting. And, despite the fact that it’s just a temporary relief, it truly makes the most of it! Understandably, it minimizes pains caused by body aches, inflammations, arthritis, etc. In fact, it minimizes all pain sensations. It blocks all available receptors.
Guaranteed to be infused with all organic sources, it leaves no side-effects on the skin. Consequently, it removes the redness that surrounds an inflamed tattoo. Lidocaine itself is based on an organic source.
Tattoo marks can be very painful especially on the first layer. It’s even worse if it’s your first time. People would really kill for immediate relief of the pain. Fortunately, with this product, they don’t have to. According to many users, it certainly works on all skin and body types.
A potential drawback I can see of it is its a problematic tube. Other than that, consider the product as the most impressive on the list!
- Fast-Acting; Instant Relief
- Comes with Medicine Cabinet
- Effective on All Kinds of Pain (including tattoo pains)
- Best for All Skin & Body Types
- Quick-Dry; Non-Greasy; Fast-Absorbent
- High Lidocaine Concentration
- Slightly Awkward Tube/Container
Why choose it?
- A “Top Pick” tattoo numbing cream for quick and instant relief, it’s a side-effect-free product for all!
Greencaine’s best numbing cream for tattoo is more effective by the dozen! It’s best put either before or after tattoo session. And, it’s a “Best Value” product for that!
- 100% Risk-Free
- 100% Effective
- 4% Lidocaine Content
- Genuine Numbing Effect
Not that it’s difficult to apply, but it surely requires religious observance to its instructions for guaranteed results. Our team of testers agree that it’s truly a sophisticated product as it wraps the skin. For that to happen, one has to apply it thickly. Unfortunately, it can feel sticky and thick on the skin. But heck, it’s 100% fast-relief and effective. Testers confirm that it’s really worth it all!
Another major hit by the product is the quality of its numbing effect. Unlike temporary products of this type, it does not deaden the area. Instead, it only cools off the nerve receptors. As a result, it creates a feeling of sooth and genuine relief. Whenever the pain re-emerges, it gets lesser and lesser in intensity.
One reviewer mentions applying a thick goo of it (1/16” specifically) on skin before the tattoo. Then, he left it to dry for an hour. But even when it’s absorbed, it still feels sticky. He had to wash it off to make way for the tattoo. But as he was enduring the nerve-wracking, painful tattoo session, he realized that it was better off with the sticky layer on the skin. The tattoo artist even agreed. Finally, after taking a break, he reapplied the cream. And, he was proven right!
Certified as a topical analgesic verbose with Lidocaine (up to 4%), its numbing effects can last for a day. While it’s not as fast-absorbent as any creams on this list, it surely, as I’ve mentioned soothingly wraps the skin. As long as it’s on the surface, zero-pain is felt. All-in-all, it’s highly effective on all occurrences of pain on the body.
Beside its slow-absorbing, heavy, gooey feel, our testers find the product smelly.
- Skin-Wrapping Capacity (does not miss a spot)
- 100% Fast Relief; Highly Effective
- Soothing Numbing Effect; Does not make the area feel dead
- Best for Pre & Post Tattoo Session
- Best for All Skin Types
- Best for Other Body Pains
- Sticky & Almost Greasy
Why choose it?
- This “Best Value” product deems the longest-lasting relief effect on the list. Its effect feels genuine and soothing, not plainly numbing.
Our third top product from DermaChange not only kisses the pain goodbye but also enhances the skin quality! Why, it’s the most organic-concentrated product on this list!
- Safe & Effective
- 100% Natural
- Itchy Skin Relief
- A Plus Additive
- Rash, Rosacea & Eczema Relief
Not only does it mute the pain receptors pre and post-tattoo, but it also repairs, moisturizes and enhances the skin quality. Being the most organic-concentrated cream on the list, testers affirm that it relieves you of itches.
It also wraps the skin with natural coating for a smoother surface. A smoother skin surface, in turn, speeds up tattoo sessions. That includes the skin’s capacity to recover.
Thick with Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Australian Cehami, Coconut Oil, Manuka Honey and Aloe Vera. But above all these, it’s the Manuka Honey that draws our testers attention.
Popularly and especially processed in Australia, Manuka Honey is pollinated by bees from the Manuka tree’s bushes. Highly anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and a known powerful healing substance, it’s responsible for the cream’s skin-repair potency. Specifically, it’s an antioxidant-rich treatment for Shingles.
Also dermatologist-recommended, the product has had earned top-notch reputation through the years. It’s not new; it’s constantly upgrading. More and more micronutrient sources are being infused in its solution by the clock.
A quarter of its reviewers stated that it’s a relaxing cream. With a great natural scent, it’s worth laying on the skin even during the tattoo. It lays the path for smoother, faster micro-needling. Furthermore, it won’t pose any problems during the session because it’s quick-dry. But even if it is, its effects can last for a few hours. Lastly, it’s also a known effective treatment for Herpetic Neuralgia.
But even such a great-sounding product couldn’t resist flipping the boat. You see, consumers complain about its slow-acting process. Requiring generous applications, it easily runs out of content.
Others also complain about its almost-dry texture and its tendency to trigger breakouts before actually eliminating them in good time.
- 100% Organic
- Effective Face & Body Recovery Cream; Skin Repair Potency
- Best for Tattoo Pains; Great Tattoo Layering Cream
- Best for Skin Rashes & Other Skin Conditions (specifically, Shingles)
- Skin Moisturizer
- Slow-Acting Process
- Dry Texture
- Can Trigger Breakouts on Skin
Why choose it?
- This DermaChange tattoo numbing cream is a high-end, all-natural cream for slow, yet effective numbing. But beside these, it’s a high-quality skin-repair and moisturizing cream.
Another all-natural numbing cream, this Zensa masterpiece makes it in the top list as a worthy, medically-effective, fast-acting topical anesthetic for all kinds and levels of pain!
- Long-Lasting Pain Relief & Prevention
- Best for Tattoos, Medical Use & Cosmetics
- High Lidocaine Concentration (approximately 5-6%)
- Fast-Acting Topical Anesthetic
A medically-professional numbing cream, doctors have been using it for post-surgery pains. Known in the industry to be as naturally-infused as DermaChange’s products, it’s actually rich in vitamin E.
Experts believe it has high levels of vitamin E, B complex, antioxidants, and other micronutrients. Studies and product assessments further prove that it’s side-effect-free. Wrap on all kinds and intensities of pain, and it’ll act in just seconds.
No further side-effects. No constricted blood. Unlike most numbing creams, this one does not leave the body with an awkward numbing feeling like plain anaesthesia does. It continues the flow, and even improves blood circulation. Meaning, it allows you to feel the microblade/needle piercing on the skin, but not the pain. One-hundred percent of our testers all agree.
Certified with a 5% Lidocaine content, fruit extracts, essential oils, etc., it certainly smells and feels good on the skin. Otherwise, it won’t have earned FDA’s approval.
Another thing it does on the nerves, as one user states, is calming them. As mentioned, it improves blood flow. Muting only the pain-receiving areas in the nerve, it doesn’t even come out as numbing. It even allows you to touch and stretch the applied area without cringing.
On the contrary, some issues users have against the product include its highly-imitated package, shipping problems and a greasy reputation.
- Highly Effective; Fast-Acting
- With 5% Lidocaine & Other Natural Ingredients; All-Natural
- Zero Side-Effects
- Rich in Vitamin E & B Complex; Great for the Skin
- Improves & Increases Blood Flow; Best for Tattoo Sessions (pre, during & post)
- Relaxing & Calming Effect; Calming Scent
- Greasy Texture
- Shipping Problems
- Highly Imitated
Why choose it?
- A high-quality FDA-approved masterpiece by Zensa, this 4th best numbing cream for tattooing sessions is perfect for those who are looking for a non-constricted and calming numbing effect.
This top-ranking product from SuperNumb can sufficiently cover the entire body for pleasurable, pain-free tattoo piercing. Once it covers the body, it’s guaranteed to release its toxins.
- 30g Super-Numbing Cream
- Maximum Numbing Strength
- Non-Oily & Water-Based
- Best for Tattoo Removal, Hair Laser Removal, Waxing, etc.
- Long-Lasting Effect
Known to come with a clear set of application instructions, testers stated that you can’t go wrong with this product. It’s literally aimed for straightforward, simple application. It’s non-greasy because it’s water-based. It absorbs instantly into the skin and takes effect right then and there.
Besides for tattoos, it’s recommended by many experts as a great application for waxing, laser hair removal, cosmetic surgeries, etc. With a numbing strength upped to the highest imaginable standard, it can, unfortunately, constrict blood flow. And, that’s where it’s application instruction comes in.
So, here’s the thing: never take its sellers words. They may claim that covering your entire body with its thick layer is a wise move. However, our testers say otherwise. You see, just a thin application of it is already soothing. So, it’s not really necessary. When you ask for a tattoo, you don’t actually have to cover your whole body with tattoos. That doesn’t add up.
Lidocaine concentration in the product is already favourably intensified to half a gram higher than usual. So, there’s no need to over-apply. Besides, you won’t want to exhaust your product in just a week.
Having said, it also works perfectly with a Saran wrap encasement. Within a Saran wrap, it’s known to double in effect.
Its other known highlight is its long-lasting effect. It can numb the pain receptors for the whole day. While it does, it soothes and calms the whole body in a state of pleasure.
Some of its problems include a quick-dry to the almost watery solution, and some shipping problems. Due to this, it’s been recalled many times.
Fortunately, today, if bought from the right seller, it’s expected to be problem-free. Lastly, for our words of caution: beware of fake sellers!
- Fast-Acting & Instant Effect
- Long-Lasting; Super-Numbing
- Easy Application; Non-Greasy & Water-based
- Increased Lidocaine Concentration
- Constricts blood flow
- Lacklustre, Watery Solution
- Some Shipping Problems; Easily-Faked
Why choose it?
- SuperNumb’s product truly lives up to its name. Strong. Fast-acting. Long-lasting. It’s the perfect cream if you’re looking for instant relief and longer from any kind of pain.
Medicalzilla’s latest Dr. Numb cream is more of a desensitizing cream than plain numbing cream. Meaning, it’s medically-professional, and highly valued enough to earn our “Premium Value” title in the list!
- 100% Safe for All Skin Types
- Multipurpose Capacity
- Recommended by Experts
- Desensitizer for Long-Term Effects
Recommended by all experts and medical practitioners for its well-researched background, sophisticated quality, and multipurpose capacity, it warrants a premium value tag. Our testers experienced it first-hand during tattoo piercings and felt nothing. And, it doesn’t stop there.
Besides muting your nerves to sleep, it ups your vitality to a certain degree. Its effect brings you calm and focuses at the same time. Certainly, it does not let you feel dead or electrically numbed. That is because it’s processed as a desentizer, not a plain numb cream. Meaning, it does not technically numb receptors but instead, lessens their sensitivity to pain.
But, does it really remove the pain? The answer is no. It only temporarily tricks the brain of the pain. What’s best about this type of topical anesthetic anorectal cream is that it’s fast-acting, yet also longer-lasting. Sure, it fades, but it’s fortunately strong enough to take effect with just an application.
While its best for tattoos, experts recommend for a whole range of instances your body can go through the knife. It’s also noted to eliminate the effects of chronic pain- arthritis, migraine, fibromyalgia, etc.
One reviewer states that it’s gentle to the skin. Irritation-free. No harsh chemicals. Even with tattoo inked, it still manages to protect the skin.
On the other hand, one major problem with the product is that it’s effects vary per person. Highly dependent on each person’s tolerance, it fairly wades across the average line. One thing remains true through. Once it penetrates on a responsive body system, it works magically!
- Fast-Acting & Long-Lasting
- Effective Desensitizer; Multipurpose Capacity
- Multipurpose Capacity
- Tender on Skin; Irritation-Free
- Dependent on Body’s Responsiveness
- Not Maximum Strength (despite claims)
- Small Product Quantity
Why choose it?
- This premium product acts more as a desensitizing cream than a mere pain blocker. It works best for pain-sensitive people who prefer quick relief with lasting effects.
This 7th-ranking product from Numbskin also boasts of high Lidocaine concentration, easy application package and a multipurpose formulation.
- Absolute Absence of Pain in the Brain
- Tattoo/Makeup Embedding Technology
- 5% Lidocaine Concentration
- Multi-Purpose Formulation
- Easy Application
Like our previous top ranker from Medicalzilla, this highly-actuated anaesthetic variant blocks the transmission of pain signals from the nerves to the brain. In a simpler view, it bars any pain-related messages from reaching the brain. In effect, this only loses the pain, but not other sensations.
One reviewer recommended using it during a tattoo session. Besides removing the pain sensation, it absorbs the tattoo ink into the skin. Through a non-invasive tattoo-imbedding technology, it protects the inner, sensitive layers in the skin from being pierced, torn or broken by tattoo needle. Automatically then, ink naturally gets embedded quickly into the skin.
Its same technology applies to permanent cosmetic surgeries. It lays off the skin with sufficiently-opened pores. But, it also keeps the pores from absorbing the harmful cosmetic substances, tightening the layers to withstand breakage. Meanwhile, several patients have claimed lower chances of blood drips during operation upon using the product.
Another review narrated that the cream works perfectly on bug bites, inflammations, and other pain-inducing conditions in the skin. The narration furthered even more by claiming that it the product is also actually an insect-repellant.
Experts do corroborate this claim by saying that high Lidocaine presence in any solution can potentially turn insects off. Now, that’s one product with many wonders!
Like the ones before it, it’s also got plenty of room to improve upon. One tester criticises its lose holding capacity vis a vis a saran wrap. Others call out its messy dissolved solution, bad smell, and potency to trigger rash and inflammation when applied excessively.
- Non-Invasive Tattoo/Makeup Embedding Technology
- High Lidocaine Concentration (5%-6%)
- Best for Pre, During & Post-Tattoo
- Protects the skin layers from being damaged (during Tattoo and other surgeries)
- Works best on other pain-inducing conditions
- Lose/Low Holding Capacity on Saran Wrap
- Messy Dissolved Solution
- Bad Smell
- Might trigger rash and inflammation when applied excessively
Why choose it?
- The product, being one of the best numbing creams for tattoos, is a good alternative for a bloody-less tattoo and permanent makeup session. If you have sensitive skin, you can benefit from this product!
From the Ebanel Skin Care collection, this neat gel-formulated cream secures effect deeply penetrated for longer pain resistance.
- FDA Approved
- Gel Cream with Non-Greasy Base
- 1.35oz Max Strength Pain Relief Cream Ointment Anesthetic Gel with Liposomal for
- Fast-Acting & Long Lasting
- Effective on All Pains
Our team of testers recommend this product to those eyeing for massive body tattoos. Massive body tattoos also come with intricate details. The outline, curves, shades, transitions, etc. require the most time and attention. Whether the artist is drawing a whole mass of image, etching details remain inevitably intricate.
This further means long hours spent under the needles and blades. This makes for an extra-strong numbing cream with 5% Lidocaine action. And, that’s exactly what the product guarantees. It’s designed for maximum strength with a saran wrap. In fact, it’s even too dependent on it.
A reviewer points out that it’s easy to apply because it’s non-greasy. Gel-like. It absorbs quite fast and penetrates deeply into the nerves. All you’ll be feeling the whole day is absolutely nothing. Pinching the skin won’t even kick the tiniest sensation.
Another reviewer proudly recommends the product for waxing. The water-based substance makes for an easy hair removal that turns sensitivity to pain away. Having said that, it functions as a desensitizer in away.
However, some users aren’t entirely pleased with it. Most of its disadvantages had to do with its tendency to flake and dry up like glue on skin, inability to please all skin types, lack of instructions on dosage and application, and a high resisting ability that makes the skin reject tattoo ink.
- 24-30 Hours of Effect; Effective on Tattoo, Waxing, etc.
- Instant Relief
- Easy Application
- Non-Greasy & Gel-Like
- 5% Lidocaine Concentration
- Perfect with Saran Wrap
- Highly dependent on saran wrap
- Flakes & dries up on the skin when left unwashed
- Lacks instructions on dosage & application
- The high resisting ability makes skin reject tattoos ink (don’t apply excessively)
- Not for All Skin Types (does not yield the slightest effect on drier and tougher skin)
Why choose it?
- The product is perfect for sensitive skin. A quick-dry, fast-acting, and deeply penetrating numbing cream with a long-lasting effect, it’s handy during long hours of the tattoo session.
An equally fast-acting and effective numbing cream for tattoos, this wonder work by the Clinical Resolution Laboratory has undergone major laboratory processes to emerge as today’s champion.
- Fast, Long-Lasting & Quick-Numbing Formula
- Utilizes Efficient Liposomal Technology
- Medically-Accurate & Professional
- 5% Lidocaine Concentration
Sharing a handful of similarities with that of Ebanel’s and Numbskin’s, it impresses our testers with its non-greasy, quick-absorbent, fast-acting and highly effective pain-killing ability.
An OTC topical numbing cream, most especially effective on tattoo pain, it works with the accuracy of a medical tool. Bearing little to no harsh chemicals in its midst, like paraben, activated oils, synthetic minerals, etc. It’s just as plain as it can get. But mind you that when it penetrates, it really does work.
Considered a super-numb cream, with its high 5% Lidocaine content, it can actually constrict blood flow. Our testers noted its effect to be heavy on the skin. The worst it can get, when applied excessively, is a catatonic body. We wouldn’t want that, of course. Fortunately, it’s got the right instructions for dosage and application.
Does it work on all skin types? No. Just like the two previous brands, it appears to be picky on the right skin its coming into contact with, or vice versa. Studies are yet to be conducted as to why certain skins/bodies don’t respond to certain numbing creams, or numbing creams not responding to the body/skin type.
According to most users, it’s highly effective on sensitive/thinner skin type because it’s easier to penetrate. Once it does, its liposomal technology acts forth. Liposomal technology involves a fatty protein that paves the way for the blocking particles to get into the narrowest receptor areas.
While it’s non-greasy, it feels nothing at all on skin. Others consider this a disadvantage as it casually causes the contents to run out in a short time. Therefore, checking its dosage instructions before the application is a really economic move. Other drawbacks of the product range from bad smell from its tendency to trigger rashes and swelling.
- Non-Greasy; Water-based
- Long-Lasting Effect; High Lidocaine Concentration
- Medically-Accurate; Utilizes Liposome Technology
- Constricts blood flow
- Not for All Skin Types
- Bad Smell
- Might trigger rashes and swelling
- Not Economic
Why choose it?
- If you have sensitive skin, this comes as the best choice for a deeply penetrating pain-numbing effect.
Nothing equals our 10th-ranking cream when it comes to numbing pains related to hair removal and tattoo application. Also beaming with a highly organic concentration, it makes for a successful skin repair.
- Quality Effect
- Highly Organic Solution
- Naturally-Processed Lidocaine
- Best for Multiple Dermal Operations
- Topical Pain Relief for Tattoos, Microblading, Laser & Micro-needling
Hailed by our testers as the ultimate solution for multiple derma processes. With repeated application, it can absolutely numb your skin. But above everything else, it’s most fitting for various hair removal procedures– waxing, Brazilian, epilating, etc. Also, it proves effective in tattoo pain.
Perhaps one of the most organic numb creams on this list, it boasts of naturally-processed Lidocaine layer. Its other infusions are known as the “Triple Dip of botanicals”. It includes vitamin E sources, fruit extracts, Aloe Vera, Jojoba extract, Tea Tree oil, and a lot more. Such infusion secures a complemented numbing function.
Besides numbing the pain receptors, it’s known among many users as an antibacterial, skin-enhancing cream. Users recommend using it for breakouts, scars and cuts caused by the tattoo’s micro-needles.
Some of its disadvantages include a short and temporary effect, a lack of dosage and application instructions, a greasy texture, an off-putting after-scent, and a small product quantity.
- Ultimate Solution for Multi-Derma Processes
- Highly Organic; Has Triple-Dip Botanical Formula
- Repairs, Enhances, Exfoliates & Smooths Skin
- Fast-Acting Relief on Tattoo Pain
- Numbing does not constrict blood flow
- Off-Putting After-Scent
- Lacks Usage Instructions
- Small Product Quantity
- The effect doesn’t last for more than 5-6 hours
- Inconvenient Container
Why choose it?
- This latest product from Deeveeant guarantees a skin-enhancing output, with fast-acting, organic and antibacterial formula. This is the right product to look for in times of infections caused by errors in tattoos, makeup, and other dermal operations.
Numbing Creams: What You Need to Know
We all know that big or small, not one person is impervious to the pain of a tattoo. The skin, being the largest organ in the body, ends up as the most sensitive. There’s a reason for it. The skin is the first receiver of any signals of external danger. When it receives and processes pain, through the courtesy of its nerve receptors, it alarms the brain of any danger.
This is the reason why certain skin types don’t sit well with numbing creams. Some numbing creams, in turn, are impotent on certain skins. There’s only one thing this truth tells. It says that despite popular belief, not all numbing creams are expected to work as they are.
In fact, certain numbing creams can ruin any operations done on your skin. Some cause the skin to reject tattoo inks, makeup applications, and even other anaesthetic formulas. Even if these consequences are not mortally threatening, they certainly cause problems. Therefore, users must be aware of these facts before even deciding to buy a numbing cream.
Numbing creams are also known as topical anaesthetics. Meaning, they only work for a temporary period of time. The duration of the effect might vary, but they’re all decided by one common characteristic. All numbing effects are temporary.
When numbing lasts more than one day and a half, it means there’s an underlying problem in the product you are using. By all means, the skin can only withstand a strong Lidocaine exposure of up to 7-8%. Exposure to higher concentration ranges might lead to permanent nerve damage. Users are to immediately go see a dermatologist/specialist at the onset of these effects.
Numbing works differently per agents involved; they’re grouped as vasoconstrictors, nerve blockers and nerve deadeners. Being aware of these agents help you easily pinpoint which ones are safe and which ones are right for your pain.
While numbing creams can eliminate/mute/dull the feelings of pain, not all of its types can be used for tattoos. For a clearer sight over this matter, it’s best that you refer to a tattoo artist and a derma expert. More so, you should also focus more intently into the several tattoo considerations.
These considerations include:
- Need for the cream to take effect; the wrong cream can actually fail to protect the skin from pain, and it’s already too late since the ink has already been laid
- Need for the tattoo ink to complement with the cream to properly set in the skin
- Need to experience numbing effect without irritations and other side-effects on the skin
Spotting the Best Tattoo Numbing Cream: Learn from the Masters (A Buying Guide)
Topical anaesthetics, or popularly known as numbing creams, are usually use-to-discover solutions. Meaning, you’ve got to buy and use one first before knowing if it actually works. While it’s safe because putting in just a thin layer is not really life-threatening, it still, however, involves money.
If you’re just that kind of thrifty, you can highly benefit from our specific buying guide. Just learn it by heart and feel no pain!
The prospects surrounding numbing creams are fairly high. Organic concentrations. High Lidocaine presence. Smoothing effect. Skin repair. These points instantly make you want to buy one. But, oops! If you don’t want to feel future pains in your pocket area, refer back to our trusted buying guide.
Here are the simple steps to spotting the best tattoo numbing cream/s for tattoo:
1. Scrutinize its active ingredients.
According to experts, the most fitting numbing creams for inter-dermal operations like tattoos, makeup, waxing, epilation, etc. are the ones with high Lidocaine content.
Current studies further affirm that Lidocain, compared to Benzocaine, work more neatly involving ink applications. Ultimately, the former works more effectively in blocking pain away.
Other active ingredients in the cream that surely demands attention comprise of Aloe Vera extracts, essential oils, Coconut oil, Honey, Cehami, and a lot more.
2. Be educated by the difference between Benzocaine and Lidocaine.
Lidocaine, an amide-based topical anesthetic form, works best in speedily distributing blocking particles throughout the receptors. Its particles are easily broken down by cell acids. When it happens, it flows through the nerves like fluid.
Dermatologists, medical experts and surgery practitioners trust this anaesthetic as the most effective protection for pain. In addition to these pluses, it’s got a lower pH rate (lower than 7) that does not impede the skin’s natural acidic layers. Ultimately, it complements well with tattoo inks, easing the application.
Benzocaine, on the other hand, is an ester anaesthetic form. Meaning, it’s only a pain reducer. It’s almost, but not even as strong as a desensitizer. It only works when applied into “mucous membranes” areas of the body– gums, anus, and cheeks.
Creams with Benzocaine concentration earn the favor of dentists. Therefore, using creams with this type of concentration for tattooing is not a very practical idea.
3. Go for the one with the least pH rate: below 5-7.
While pH (acidity content) is necessary for numbing creams to penetrate, it should not go beyond the rate of 5-7.
For the simplest explanation, high pH content irritates the skin. It also alters the contact system between the skin and the tattoo ink. In fact, in some cases, it causes the skin to reject the ink.
When that happens, your tattoo will most likely be ruined, and your skin would certainly be torn, leading to a possible infection.
Top 10 Benefits of a Tattoo Numbing Cream
Numbing creams exist all over the world to kill the pain. Numbing cream for tattoos exists to kill tattoo-related pains. Besides killing the pain, it does a lot to ease, improve and better tattoo session outputs.
For an up-close, reached-by-the-hand oversight, we have rounded up the top 10 specific benefits of the best numbing cream for tattoo:
- It speeds up and smooths tattoo removal and application.
- It secures a pain-free micro-needling/blading on the skin.
- It guarantees a long-term numbing effect.
- It reduces the sensitivity of some areas in your body to pain.
- It eliminates pre, current and post-tattoo stress.
- It does not constrict blood flow.
- It makes you enjoy the tattoo session.
- It calms your nerves, or your demeanour entirely.
- It enhances the overall shade of the tattoo ink.
- It bars the pores from absorbing harmful toxins possibly infused in the ink.
Scrutinizing the Tattoo Numbing Cream’s Strategy: How Does it Work?
The effects of tattoo numbing creams are varied. But one thing remains true for all: yes, you guessed it! Numbing.
Again, numbing effects range depending on the type of cream you are using. One cream totally eliminates the pain, while the other reduces it. Another cream just tricks the brain, making it think there’s no pain. The final cream only gets to block the pain signals from entering the brain.
Certainly, the active agent found in the tattoo numbing cream is the sole arbiter of the effect you’ll most likely experience.
Here are its types:
Numbing creams with vasoconstrictors work to constrict and slow down blood flow underneath the skin. While this may feel awkward such that you won’t be able to move your body part right then and there, it’s beneficial for a lot of reasons.
First, it keeps the skin from bleeding heavily during tattoo. Second, it delays the effect, making the tattoo painless for hours. Third, it secures a smooth re-emerging of sensations the following day.
- Nerve Deadeners
Numbing creams with nerve deadeners work by temporarily killing the nerves. In effect, it loses the body’s grasp of any sort of physical sensation.
You won’t be able to feel anything with it, but at least, you can move your body around.
The problem with nerve deadeners is that they are commonly inactive when penetrated into the skin. It won’t take them far into the dermal layers before they eventually become inactive.
Nerve deadeners are usually paired with mineral activators for a sure effect.
- Nerve Blockers
Creams with this agent, blocks pain signals from entering the brain. Unlike the two agents previously mentioned, it does not alter receptor and blood flow system. It only specifically cancel out pain signals to the kingdom come.
Nerve blockers are the safest of the agents. That is the reason why it’s commonly included among local anesthetics.
Nerve blockers positively complement with nerve deadening agents.
Quick & Easy Tips on How to Use & Apply Tattoo Numbing Creams
The success of the tattoo numbing effects is also equally determined by its manner of application. Consequently, most high-quality and trusted brands come with complete dosage-application instructions.
But regardless of having instructions or not, applying the cream is defined by a universal set of instructions.
Lucky for you, we’ve come up with the quick and easy tips on how to use and apply tattoo numbing cream!
If you’re all eyes for a painless numbing success, then you’re in for a treat:
- Thoroughly clean the area that is to be applied with the cream. Wash and soap it. It’s of high importance that the surface is free of any blockages that potentially prevent fast absorption of the cream.
- Take through your fingers a thick layer of the cream. Apply it on the area and rub it generously. Ensure that the whole area is wrapped and coated with it.
- Once done, cover the area immediately with saran wrap. This process preserves its active agents and keeps it from drying up.
- Allow the solution to absorb within 20-60 minutes. Or, if you feel that the solution has begun to dry up, then it’s time to clean it up.
- To complete the step, remove the plastic and rinse the area thoroughly.
Note: This can be done before, during and after the tattoo session.
TOP FAQs About Tattoo Numbing Creams
Does numbing cream affect or alter the tattoo result in a way?
Tattoo numbing creams are expected to affect tattoo result in a positive way. The right numbing creams ease the entire tattoo process and yield a positive result after.
When is it best to put on cream, before or after tattoo?
It actually depends on what’s indicated on the cream package. Some creams are best applied before a broken skin, while others are meant to penetrate post-broken skin.
If there is no specific indication, then the cream can be used either before, during or after the tattoo session.
Which area/s of the body is most sensitive to tattoo pain?
The common areas of the body that are most sensitive to tattoo pain include the ankle, head, ribcage, inside of wrist, armpit, hands/fingers, stomach, and nape.
Do tattoos hurt with a numbing cream?
No. The right, high-quality numbing creams should guarantee a painless tattoo.
From the eventual perusal we have conducted, we were able to rank Aspercreme as the “Top Pick”, Greencaine as “Best Value”, and Medicalzilla as “Best Value”. Undoubtedly, Aspercreme’s product comes out as the best tattoo numbing cream on the list!
Their ranking surely didn’t just pop up for no reason. By all intent, our team of testers were able to conclude that the common underlying patterns shared by these products deal with instant relief, long-lasting, non-constricting, non-greasy, and skin-enhancing effects.
All these top 10 products also share a major-to-average Lidocaine presence in them. But certainly too, the concentration level never reached higher than 7%. It also proves true to their pH rate.
From this very detailed review and understanding of numbing cream applications, we can safely surmise that complementing pain-killing agents to specific situational considerations guarantee more or less, painless and successful tattoo output.