This post was most recently updated on September 2nd, 2019
“If you’ve always had curly hair, you wish it was straight.”
This has always been the case with ninety percent of women with curly hair! Why is that? Well, blame it all on the big tube! That’s why straight hair has always been associated with beauty and femininity.
And a lot of the protagonists in the movies have curly hair! It’s so unfair, right? Anyways, either way you wear your hair, you’re still beautiful! But if you want to straighten your rich and curly tresses once in a while, there’s no harm in that right? No need to go to the salon to have a permanent straightening. Ditch the chemicals! We have sorted out the best hair straightener for your curly hair. Enjoy straight and sleek hair whenever you want without exposing your strands to harmful chemicals!
In Review: The Best Hair Straightener in the Market
Do you have a gala to attend to and are looking for the fastest and most efficient way to straighten those lovely curls?
Keep scrolling! Get yourself the best flat iron in the market today!
01. GHD Max Styler
Posh and sophisticated- these are the first words that you will utter as soon as you lay eyes on this shimmering flat iron. You’d be happy to hear that this golden baby can straighten your curly hair effortlessly too.
Equipped with ceramic technology, it heats up fast and maintains that desired temperature for optimum styling. Contrary to how posh it appears to be, this golden baby has a decent price tag!
- Equipped with ceramic technology. You can enjoy consistent heat until you have parked your comb.
- Has wider plates to style more sections of the hair at a time.
- Comes with a protective plate guard where you can store the flat iron immediately after use.
- Equipped with an automatic sleep mode function that turns the straightener off when left idle for 30 minutes.
- Equipped with a universal voltage.
- Can straighten even thick afro hair.
- The ceramic technology ensures even heat all throughout.
- Can tame frizzes and won’t dry your hair out.
- Can never get too hot! It has an automatic sleep mode that turns the flat iron off if unused for 10 minutes.
- The wider combs can straighten more hair in a single pass. Saves you on time and energy.
- Can be used in many parts of the globe with its universal voltage.
- No need to wait for this iron to cool off before storing. The protective guard allows you to store it right after using it.
- It’s quite sturdy and built to last.
- The wider plates make it virtually impossible to straighten the hair near the roots.
- You need to shell out more cash for this hair straightener.
What we like about the product
If you’re a golden baby, then you’ll definitely want this one in your vanity kit! We love how the golden plates and accents make this hair iron ultra posh and sophisticated.
This luxurious looking hair straightener will not be confined in the four corners of your drawer anymore. It’s convenient to bring along to any parts of the globe. You can use it anywhere with its universal voltage! It also comes with a protective guard so you can stack it right away in your PRADA suitcase.
When we say that we have found a hair iron that can heat up in as fast as 15 seconds, we’re not kidding! The FURDIEN Pro is indeed made for the salons and the professional stylist who want to get the job done as quickly as possible!
Salon graded, the FURIDEN has ceramic plates that heat up evenly, maintains heat and straightens hair with one pass
It’s cylindrically shaped and the edges of the plates are curved, no snagging and pulling with this design! It flows with you as you move making styling faster and friendlier on your tresses too! You’d be surprised at the very decent price tag that it comes with!
- Has a cylindrically shaped body that moves with you
- Equipped with ceramic plates that heat up in as fast as 15 seconds.
- Has dual voltage.
- Has a longer 360-degree swivel cord.
- Equipped with an automatic shut off.
- Complete with a protective glove.
- Has a variety of heat settings to choose from.
- Has a directional switch design for the temperature settings.
- Can be used anywhere in the world with is dual voltage.
- No worries if you are a bit forgetful! It has an automatic shut off button.
- The temperature dial is easily accessible. You just need to switch the dial clockwise to reach your desired temperature.
- Heats up faster than the competition!
- Has a sophisticated cylindrical body and rounded metal edges that move with you as you style.
- The ceramic plates deliver even heat until you have parked your hair iron.
- It can curl hair well with its cylindrical shape.
- Allows more room for movement with its 360-degree swivel cord.
- It’s priced under a hundred dollars.
- It’s a bit wide to tame the flyaways near the face.
What we like about the product
Fifteen seconds is fast enough for us! It heats up quickly and evenly so you have more time to do your makeup!
We love how the edges are rounded. There are occasions when you want a more volumized straight hair and not the pin straight ones. The FURIDEN PRO can make the tip of your hair rounded at the same time! The rounded metal edge of the plates adds more volume to the ends of your tresses.
We absolutely love the stunning color and design of this hair iron, it looks very posh. Its shape also allows you to curl your hair easily! It’s definitely a two-in-one tool! And that’s all under a hundred dollars!
Straightening thick and curly hair is really challenging! Either you ran out of time or you just got too tired! Also, your regular straightening iron often leaves your tresses frizzy and dry. Instead of a stunning hairstyle, you will be left to deal with an epic disaster. Bio Ionic One pass will solve our dilemma!
This heavy-duty straightener can smoothen your tresses with just one pass (hence the name). This saves your hair from getting toasted from too much heat. The Bio Ionic one pass also has an ionic function that gives off negative ions that helps protect your hair from dryness and frizz.
- Equipped with a Silicone strip for faster and shinier straightening experience.
- Has Bio Ceramic plate for fast and constant heat.
- Equipped with ionic and Infrared technology for frizz-free hair.
- Has a multi-level heat controller.
- Has a 10 ft. heavy-duty swivel cord.
- This hair iron won’t grab your strands, which often happens with your regular iron.
- It infuses negative ions into your hair, making it shinier and frizz-free.
- You’ve got more space to move around with its 10 ft. swivel cord.
- Your straightened tresses could last for days!
- Can straighten hair near the scalp.
- Comes in two sizes (perfect for both short and long hair!).
- The blue silicone strip heats up quickly, therefore, allowing a one-pass straightening session.
- Lightweight and easy to manoeuvre.
- Will not cause damage to the curl pattern of your hair.
- Ultra sleek hair comes with a price! This flat iron is quite expensive!
- It can get too hot at times.
What we like about the product
We love a hair straightener that can actually work from near the scalp to the base with just one pass! You don’t need to spend an hour straightening your curly hair, it only takes around 15 minutes to get a sleek style with Bio Ionic One Pass. It heats up very fast so you get the job done in half the time. Now you have more time to do your make- up!
We also love how this flat iron nourishes your hair at the same time. We all know what too much heat can do to your hair. You can end up with fried and lifeless tresses. This heavy-duty beauty tool has negative ions that act as a barrier to the negative effects of too much heat. We love how these sweet babies can make your hair shiny and smooth. You can enjoy that hairstyle for days too! (sans the shower of course!)
And oh! It comes in two sizes too. Whether you have short or long hair, you can get one that suits your needs.
This hair straightener heats up quickly and can tame down even the puffiest hair! The Solano Sleek is one of those professional flat irons that will give you a sleek hairstyle in a few minutes. A number of hairstylists use and recommend this product too!
Feel like you just stepped out of the salon with this flat iron! And look like you have been styled by a professional as well! Equipped with a tourmaline technology, your tresses will thank you for the much needed TLC, and of course, the fabulous do-over.
- Equipped with ceramic and tourmaline plates.
- The plates have a sloping edge.
- You can choose from a 1 inch and 1 ¼ inch model.
- Equipped with heat settings from 170 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Has a cool touch tip for skin protection.
- Has swivel cords.
- It can be used for all hair types. With its variable temperature settings, it can straighten the thinnest hair to the thickest one without any damage.
- No hair tugging! The beveled plates prevent this “ouchie” moment.
- The ceramic plates heat up in 60 seconds and the heat is well distributed.
- The tourmaline technology protects your hair from getting fried. You get a smooth, moisturized and frizz-free hair every single time.
- No more burns! The cool touch tip protects your hand from the hotspots.
- It can create a ton of wonderful hairstyles! Works great for getting those sexy beach waves too.
- Lightweight and easy to use.
- It’s worth the price tag.
- Doesn’t have an automatic shutoff button.
What we like about the product
It’s versatile! Whether you want a sleek straight hairstyle or you want to go for those sexy beach waves, you can achieve these effortlessly with just one tool! It excites us when we chance upon flat irons for curly hair that can be used for other functions too!
We know you love passing your hair under those hot ceramic plates every day. Who doesn’t’ want a sleek and sexy hairstyle? But the daily heat can take a nasty toll on your tresses. Solano Sleek 450’s ceramic tourmaline plates protect your hair from dryness.
You want to enjoy pin-straight every day but the daily heat can take a toll on your beloved tresses. How will rock that straight ‘do if it’s fried to a crisp like the wilting leaves under the scorching sun?
A tourmaline covered flat iron can lessen that woe. HSI Titanium Tourmaline can transform your tired kinky hair to sleek and nourished locks! It’s 100 per cent Tourmaline! This great innovation nourishes the hair cuticles as the plates glide through it.
This sleek looking tool deserves a place in your vanity kit! Not to mention, a number of salon owners have this “magic wands” in their arsenal.
- Equipped with titanium tourmaline covered plates.
- The edges of the plates are rounded.
- Comes with argan oil, a pouch and protective gloves.
- It’s dual voltage.
- Has a long swivel cord.
- Say goodbye to frizz! The tourmaline coated plates make hair smooth and silky to touch!
- The titanium plates heat up in a few minutes.
- It has an extra long cord. It won’t get in the way of your styling session!
- Can smoothen thick and curly hair.
- The temperature selector is located inside the flat iron. It stays on.
- This straightening iron can give you great curls that last too!
- Doesn’t snag or pull your hair.
- No burnt smell here!
- You can bring it anywhere with you since it has a dual voltage.
- This professional hair straightener is quite expensive.
- Doesn’t have an auto shut off.
What we like about the product
This heavy-duty flat iron can take care of all your frizz and tangles while giving you sleek and straight hair. We love the combination of titanium and tourmaline technology. The former instantly heats up plates while the latter nourishes your hair cuticles. Not to mention, this HSI model is 100 percent titanium and tourmaline.
The dials are situated inside, no accidental turning off or switching temperatures for you. It stays on at your desired temperature until you have parked it. We don’t mind the above average price tag! If you look like you’ve just gotten out of the salon, you wouldn’t mind too!
06. Xtava PRO
If you’re looking for a wider than the average plates, then the XTAVA PRO is indeed worth a try! The extra wider plates can smoothen more hair in a single section. We’re always looking for ways to speed up this beauty routine!
The infrared technology of this sturdy flat iron dries the hair from the inside out, not the other way around. This technology prevents the outside of the hair from drying up and getting toasted. Negative ions are released as you glide your tresses through the plates. These are your hair’s saving grace from the direct heat!
- Equipped with ceramic plates.
- Has a wider 2-inch plates.
- Equipped with an infrared technology that nourishes the hair cuticles by drying the strand from the inside out.
- Has an extra long cord for better mobility.
- Has variable temperature settings for all hair types.
- Comes with a pouch with a protective lining inside.
- Has an LCD display for the temperature settings.
- Heats up really quick!
- You can control the temperature settings by pressing the up and down arrow located on the inside part of the hair iron.
- Its wide plates straighten more hair at a time. You don’t need to do sectioning that much!
- Get super smooth and silky straight hair from the infrared technology.
- Can be stacked right away in its pouch with a protective lining.
- Comes in a gift-worthy package.
- Works well on very thick hair as it does with fine strands.
- Quite expensive!
- Can get too hot!
- Wide its wider plates, it can’t be used for curling your hair.
What we like about the product
This hair straightener couldn’t get any more presentable! Packaged in a black luxe box with gold polka dots, this can be given as a gift right away! We love that it comes with a pouch of its own. And did we mention that it has a protective lining inside? You can store your hair iron right away!
It gets really hot and fast, perfect for taming thick unruly hair. The red line is a fantastic innovation that saves your hair from the heat, especially if you’re straightening at the highest temperature! The infrared technology dries the hair from the inside! No more toasted tresses for you!
The HSI Pro is another great tool that can be packed in your suitcase whether you are going to Paris or to Asia! It has a dual voltage that makes it fairly accessible to use in many parts of the world.
It straightens and nourishes your hair at the same time with just a few passes (or even one!) So you have more time to do your day trip. You’d be happy to hear that it comes with a protective glove and a decent pouch to store it with. It would really slip nicely in your luggage!
- Comes with a protective glove, argan oil and a pouch for storage.
- Has a 360-degree swivel cord.
- Equipped with a dual voltage.
- Equipped with one-inch thick ceramic tourmaline-infused plates.
- Has variable heat settings.
- Comes with a glove to protect your hands from burning.
- Has a pouch for storage, making it ideal for traveling.
- Can be used for straightening and curling hair.
- The ceramic plate gives off even heat that stays.
- The tourmaline infused plates give off negative ions that keep hair shiny.
- With its variable heat settings, it’s perfect for almost any hair type.
- It’s easy to control. The temperature is reflected n the LCD display.
- It’s lightweight and has a great grip.
- It heats up easily.
- Can work on extremely thick and coarse hair without pulling.
- The body can be too hot to touch.
What we like about the product
Even if you have thick African mix air, this professional flat iron can straighten your hair fast without the snagging and the pulling.
Though the body can get really hot to touch, we appreciate that it comes with its own protective glove. At least the brand knows how to make up for that tiny flaw in their product!
This Babyliss flat iron delivers a pin straight hairstyle with just 1-2 passes ( or most hair types). This hot baby (because it gets hot fast in under a minute!) has an extended plate measuring 5 inches. Perfect for thicker hair or if you want to gather more strands per section. It’s fit for the fast lane!
Even if you have thin hair or coarse strands, this number won’t damage or burn your locks. It features 50 heats settings. More choices for that fragile hair too! You can go for the low setting if you have thin hair. Amp it up to several notches to straighten that curly hair!
- Equipped with titanium plates.
- Features 50 heat settings up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Has a slim ergonomic design.
- Equipped with a 5-inch extended plate for more coverage.
- Has LED temperature controls.
- Equipped with an ionic generator.
- The Ryton housing can withstand high heat and is resistant to corrosion.
- Since its titanium, it heats faster and can get really hot! Works fast on curly hair.
- It can double as a curling ironing that can deliver a variety of curls.
- It has variable temperature controls. You demand how hot you want it to be depending on your styling need and hair type.
- Has more coverage with its extended plate. Straightens long hair in half the time.
- Its nanotechnology releases negative ions that help keep the moisture in the strands as you straighten your hair.
- No forgetful Fred for you, this doesn’t have an automatic shut off button.
- Can get really hot. Be wary if you have brittle or sensitive hair.
What we like about the product
It gets the job done faster! With more hair coverage that is! It features a wider plate that some of the flat irons for curly hair don’t have. Wider plate means more hair and less time!
If you have been wanting to try out different curls, then this might be worth a try. With the wider body of some professional flat irons, will be able to achieve that sexy beach waves. But with the Babyliss Nano, you can go crazy over the myriad of curls that you can try out! Its slender and slim body allows you to make all sorts of curls and waves, it’s perfect for those tight curls too!
09. Chi Air Expert
With the Chi Air Expert, you get frizz-free straightened hair in just under 10 minutes. Its tourmaline ceramic plates loaded with negative ions protect your hair from frizz and flyaways.
It has a bit of a price tag compared to the cheap ones you buy at Walmart or Marshalls. As most of the customers say, “it’s worth every penny!” Chi has been a household name when it comes to hair straighteners.
- Equipped with tourmaline ceramic plates.
- Has a shiny plastic body.
- Comes in a variety of colors.
- Has a 9 ft. swivel cord.
- Equipped with a temperature dial located inside the plastic body.
- The plates deliver even heat distribution. No hot spots for this trendy looking hair straightener!
- This flat iron has a sleek body for better grip.
- Can straighten thick curly hair faster than your regular flat iron.
- Your sleek hairstyle can last for hours or days! (just don’t shower for the meantime haha).
- Its slender body makes it ideal for curling hair easily.
- No hair tugging and pulling.
- Heats up in one minute.
- The plastic body can get pretty hot to touch! Its either you practice more caution or just wear protective gloves to save your hands from scorching.
What we like about the product
We hate hot spots! That’s why this Chi straightener has a place in our hearts and vanity kit. With the even heat distribution, your hair is straightened evenly and fast.
It’s quite trendy too! You can choose from an array of eye-popping colors that will suit your personality and mood.
10. Kipozi Titanium
Are you looking for a flat iron where you can work with semi-wet hair but can’t find any? We’ve got good news for you!
You can use the Kipozi Titanium on your semi-wet hair! A number of flat irons work with dry hair. When you’re in a rush, you just want to dive into your favorite hair iron right? With Kipozi, you don’t need to wait for your hair to fully dry before ironing it.
- Has an infrared technology for smoother hair.
- Equipped with 1.75-inch titanium blades.
- Has an LCD display.
- Has an auto shut off feature.
- Heats up in 30 seconds.
- Has an ergonomic sturdy handle that protects your hands from burns.
- Equipped with temperature settings up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It’s okay to forget to unplug it sometimes! This one is equipped with an auto shut off system.
- Your hands won’t feel any burning sensation even if the temperature setting is at the highest heat with the sturdy handle of this flat iron.
- It’s travel-friendly. It’s equipped with two voltages so you can use it anywhere.
- The LCD display lets you know which temperature you’re working at.
- Can be used safely on semi-wet hair.
- Can smoothen wavy and frizzy hair while maintaining its shine.
- This hair straightener is quite heavy!
What we like about the product:
There are a few hair straightening tools there in the market that has safety features. The Kipozi Titanium has two!
The auto shut-off feature is a biggie for most users, especially to those forgetful Freds. The flat iron automatically shuts off when not in use, sparing your house from an impending disaster.
We often get our hands burned whenever we work with wavy coarse hair, because we need to amp up the heating temperature. We love how the manufacturers of the Kipozi Titanium took this into consideration. The sturdy handle gives extra protection for your skin!
11. Croc Classic
A number of the best hair straighteners can give you that sleek and pin straight finish. The downside? Some of these hair straighteners give off a burnt smell as if your hair is being fried!
You won’t experience this with the Croc Classic Nano Titanium flat iron! It can smoothen the curliest hair with just a single pass, without the burnt smell. Your sleek and straight hairstyle also stays put even in hot and humid weather! All it takes is a couple of minutes in the morning and you are ready to face the day with a fabulous hairstyle! You can even enjoy coiffed up hairstyle even after office hours!
- Equipped with Titanium Ionic plates that gets hot quickly.
- Has wider plates ( ⅕ inch ) for more hair coverage.
- Equipped with 25 digital temperature settings.
- Features an automatic shut off system.
- Equipped with an advanced ceramic technology that locks in hair’s moisture.
- This flat iron automatically shuts off if left idle for 30 minutes.
- It can straighten thick and curly hair with two passes without frying it up.
- It gets hot in a few seconds! Perfect if you’re always running late but don’t want to skip this beauty routine.
- The wider plates are difficult to use if you have short hair.
- Better leave your bangs curly with this flat iron! It’s bigger than the competition, and it can straighten the hair near the roots.
- It can get too hot quickly! Better be a pro if you’re going to use this. You don’t want to end up with fried locks do you?
What we like about the product
It’s fast and gets hot quickly! This Croc Nano can smoothen the kinkiest hair with just a maximum of two passes.The wider and longer plates can accommodate more hair and lessens the sectioning that you have to do. For those with medium to thin hair, you might not need to section your hair at all!
Just glide it through your hair and you’re all set to make heads turn with your sleek and smooth locks!
You can get salon finish hair with Paul Mitchell’s Neuro Smooth flat iron. It’s an amazing tool for both smoothening your hair and creating sexy beach waves. The Neuro Smooth will help give you that shiny and smooth straight hair that could last for days, until you wash it!
Even thick and coarse hair can get a slick straight finish. And oh, be careful this flat iron can get hot easily! That’s a plus when you are in rush!
- Has an LCD display.
- Equipped with an auto shut off feature.
- Equipped with 1.25-inch titanium plates that are resistant to corrosion.
- Has a sturdy body.
- The edges of the plates are beveled.
- Has a smart sense microchip for consistent heat.
- Has a swivel cord.
- The plates are a little bit wider than most of its competition, allowing for more hair coverage per sectioning.
- The plates can get hot in 30 seconds.
- It can be used with hair products. The titanium plates are resistant to corrosion.
- Has several heat settings.
- The smart sense microchip technology ensures that the plates get even heat all throughout your session.
- The beveled edges of the plates prevents hair snagging and pulling.
- The larger plates can only accommodate big curls and sexy beach waves. No to tight curls!
- Quite expensive!
What we like about the product
Don’t you just hate those lines that are left at the top of the hair whenever you smoothen it with a flat iron? Those are called demarcation lines and it’s really an eyesore. We don’t want to divulge to everyone that you are ironing your hair everyday right? Your beauty routines are sworn to secrecy!
The beveled edge of the plates of the Neuro Smooth prevents this from happening. Say goodbye to demarcation lines! No hair tugging too!
Equipped with ceramic plates, the Babyliss PRO heats up quickly and ensures even and constant heat until you have done styling your hair. It works well with kinky, African hair too. You can easily transform your curly and kinky hair to sleek and shiny locks with just a few passes.
The Babyliss may carry a bit of a price tag, but believe us when we say that it’s worth the extra moolah.
- Equipped with ceramic plates with infrared technology.
- Has a longer cord compared to the competition.
- Comes in three sizes (1 in,1.5 in and 2 inches).
- Comes with comb guides.
- Heats up quickly.
- Has variable heat settings.
- The different plate sizes allow you to choose one which best suits your hair type.
- You can get sleek and shiny hairstyle with just a few passes. Can smoothen rough hair too.
- The comb works great as a straightening aid.
- Anybody can get a pin straight hairstyle! Yes, even the kinkiest hair can be transformed into a sleek and shiny hairstyle.
- Doesn’t have an indicator when you’ve reached your desired temperature.
- Since it doesn’t have an indicator, if you aren’t careful it can burn your hair.
- Gives off a burnt smell on some occasions.
What we like about the product
When we said that it can smoothen the curliest hair, we aren’t kidding! That’s what we love about the Babyliss PRO ceramic! Even the hardest hair to work with can be a straight (pin straight that is!) success.
You can cancel your appointment at the salon and do a DIY hairstyle with this flat iron. It costs a bit more than your regular hair straightener. But hey, if you can get salon styled hair in a few minutes with your new hair stylist (that’s you!) it’s worth every cent!
If you are having a hard time keeping those bangs all coiffed up, the arc-shaped tip of this flat iron will surely excite you! Made with titanium mirror plates, Isa Pro titanium features a unique shape that is perfect for styling your bangs and those short bob haircuts. The arc shape allows you to get close to the roots without burning your scalp.
This titanium innovation works great for stubborn strands. Whether it’s curly, coarse or ultra puffy hair, you can get a professionally straightened hair right in the comfort of your own home.
- Equipped with titanium mirrored plates.
- Has a digital LED temperature display.
- Features an arc tip.
- Has heat temperatures from 265 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The titanium blades make the hair shiny and smooth every single time.
- The arc tip is very useful for straightening the bangs and hair sections near the scalp.
- Has an automatic shutoff button. Lesser worries if you forgot to unplug your flat iron, you’d still have a house to come home to!
- Must be used perpendicular to the hair to avoid snagging.
- Smaller sections are needed for better results.
- Not for those with thick, coarse and frizzy hair.
- Quite expensive for its worth.
What we like about the product
The bangs area can be a little bit challenging to tame right? Getting close enough to the roots can burn your scalp and even your hands!
Isa Pro Titanium is really handy when it comes to your bangs area! The arc tip is perfectly made for this part!
15. Remington S7901
No time to air dry your hair? No problem! With Remington S7901 you can now use your flat iron even on wet or damp hair. This convenient hair straightener has air vents that allow steam to escape from your wet hair.
This product works great for women who are always in the rush like me! You can spare yourself a couple of minutes by parking your blower and go directly to your flat iron. You can fix that mascara for a couple more minutes!
- Equipped with ceramic plates.
- Equipped with unique air vents that convert excess water to steam as it glides through your hair.
- Features a 4-inch plate that’s longer compared to the competition.
- Has 30 variable heat settings accessible by digital heat control.
- Can be used safely for both dry and wet hair.
- Has a very affordable price tag.
- Can straighten the hair near the roots.
- Has an automatic shut off feature.
- Heats up quickly.
- Has a number of heat settings to choose from. Thus, it works safely on almost any hair types and hair conditions.
- Needs extra caution when used on wet hair! It may burn your hands if you accidentally touched the air vents.
- Can cause splits and frizz when used regularly on wet hair.
What we like about the product
This wet to straight Remington Flat iron is very affordable. It costs less than 50 dollars! And we also love the extra long plates too. As a result, it captures more hair, sparing you more time to make that perfect eyebrow!
We also love that it gives us a lot of temperature options. Whether you got brittle or colored treated hair, you can choose the best heat option that won’t damage your tresses.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Hair Straightener for Curly Hair
“I just love how her straight sleek hair dances with the cool summer breeze…”
It’s every girl’s dream- soft and straight hair that’s smooth to touch. It dances effortlessly with the cool breeze. And even in the hot summer days, you still look elegant and all coiffed up.
Let us rephrase that! It was every girl’s dream!
The birth of the flat irons for curly hair made this dream come true!
As early as 1872, women were already straightening their hair with heated rods. From this era, the coveted straightening iron evolved. Women would go through a tedious method just to achieve that pin straight hairstyle. Consequently, the second-generation hair straightener is relatively similar to the flat iron that we are using now to press our wrinkled clothes!
It was only until 1912 that flat irons resemble the ones that we are using today. Back then it wasn’t as accessible as it was now. And after the 1980s (which was a big curly hair era), a plethora of flat irons and hair straighteners started sprouting like mushrooms!
So how do you choose the best hair straightener for you?
1. What’s Your Hair’s Texture?
Apart from your budget, this is the biggest consideration that you have to take a look into. Hair category basically falls into two sections– curly thick hair and fine strands.
A high-temperature setting can smoothen curly and thick locks while a low setting is advisable for those with fine strands.Straightening your fine hair at higher temperatures will fry it while if you use a low heat setting for your curly hair, you’re just wasting your time and nothing will happen!
Opt for a hair straightener that has variable temperature settings so you’ll have control on what temperature you need for your hair.
The best flat iron for thick hair can go up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, be mindful on where the temperature controls are located. If it’s in the way where you are grasping the handle, you might unknowingly increase the heat. That’s good for thick and curly hair but it’s a nightmare for your fine strands.
2. Are You a Forgetful Fred?
Since most of the best hair straighteners can reach temperatures as high as 450 degrees, it pays to know if you’re the type of person who tends to forget to unplug your appliances. You don’t want to come home to a pile of ashes, do you?
An automatic shut off system is very useful for those who are always rushing into things that they forget to unplug their flat iron. Not all hair irons have this safety feature. Be sure to get one with it so you’d have one less thing to worry about.
3. Going Curly Again?
Curly hair is not that bad, right? Those long sexy beach waves are perfect for that pictorial! Those tight curls really work off that bridesmaid dress that you’re going to wear to your best friend’s wedding!
We all need some curls in our life every now and then! A hair straightener can also function as one!Two different hairstyles with just one tool, ain’t you loving that idea?
Before you get one off the rack or order online, do take note that not all flat irons can give you those fab curls. Hair straighteners with wider plates might not work on this one. You better be buying the sleek slim ones if you also want to curl your locks from time to time.
4. What’s the Condition of Your Hair?
Is your hair healthy or is a little bit on the brittle side?
Too much heat can spell disaster on your already brittle hair! Apart from hair protectants, you might want to check if your hair straightener has infrared technology.
So what exactly is infrared?
When you press your hair with a regular flat iron, the plates normally dries the hair from the outside. The outer portion of your strands is the most vulnerable and abused part of your hair. It comes into contact with high heat every single time you iron your locks.
The infrared technology saves the outer part of your hair from further damage by drying your hair from the inside out. It also emits negative ions that help nourish your strands and prevent it from frizz. It locks in your hair’s moisture making it soft to touch.
5. What Size Suits Your Needs?
Another important consideration is the size of the hair iron.
Say, you’re sporting a very short bob, it’ll be wise to opt for a slimmer and more slender flat iron. It might be challenging to smoothen out hair close to the roots with a wide plate. More so if you have bangs, a slender flat iron is what you need to straighten that spot.
A wider plate, on the other hand, works wonders for thick and coarse hair. It also speeds up the time spent in front of the mirror. The wider the plates are, the more hair it can accommodate. That means less sectioning and less time for you!
6. Tourmaline, Ceramic or Titanium?
We’ve got three great options to choose from! These materials make up the best flat irons for curly hair. Let’s get to know them one by one
Ceramic flat irons
After the birth of the third generation hair straighteners (similar to the flat irons for pressing your shirts), ceramic flat iron has been the pioneer in revolutionizing the hair straightening department.
Ceramic has always been a favored material for a flat iron. It ensures even heat distribution and the heat stays up until you are ready to go out the door. What we love about this material is that there are no hot or cold spots. It means that you can smoothen out your hair with just a few passes. Saves time and saves your tresses from getting fried!
It also heats up in a few seconds, but not as quick as a titanium flat iron. If you have fine hair, you might consider investing in a pure ceramic flat iron. Cheap ceramic irons break easily. The chip on the coating will snag and pull your hair, so better get the real deal.
Just be careful though, some “ceramic straighteners” are just coated with ceramic. How would you know if it’s purely ceramic? The price says it all!
Titanium flat irons
If you have the hardest hair to work with, titanium is going to be your best pal! This sturdy metal heats up really quickly. It works great if you have kinky and extremely curly hair.
The heat smoothens out thick strands immediately. But if you aren’t careful (especially if you have fine hair) it can cause damage to your strands. Don’t leave the plates too long on your hair and you’ll be fine.
If you can handle the heat, titanium flat irons can give you that sleek hairstyle in a heartbeat. Make sure you’re getting the authentic one. The best titanium flat iron should have no hot spots.
Tourmaline flat irons
It’s titanium’s kin in terms of how fast the plates heat up! This substance is usually grounded and incorporated into the plates. It’s naturally occurring and has the innate ability to emit negative ions that combats frizz and dryness.
Tourmaline is considered as one of the best minerals that can prevent hair damage. It works in a similar way like ceramic in fighting off positive ions found in dry and damaged hair.
The best flat irons in the market combined these two elements to come up with the ultimate hair straightener that you can use daily, even if you have brittle hair! Ceramic tourmaline flat irons are already making waves in the market. This type of flat iron offers dual protection from the direct heat while you enjoy a straight and smooth hairstyle that can last for days ( just don’t shower for the moment haha)
Steps To a Successful DIY Hair Straightening in the Home
“Great hair doesn’t happen by chance, it happens by appointment.”-Unknown
Or you can skip an appointment with your favorite salon and be your own hairstylist!
How do make this happen? Know the ins and outs of the hair straightening biz and of course, you’ve got to have the proper tools with you!
We aren’t talking about those nasty hair straightening products that leave your hair in dire need of luster and moisture. You can still enjoy that straight style without using those harsh chemicals. Going natural is the only way to go! That’s if you’d still want a full head of healthy tresses!
1. Go Au Naturel With the Stuff in Your Pantry
Rummage through your kitchen pantry and you’re sure to find something that can nourish your hair too!
- Banana, honey, yogurt and, olive oil
- Coco milk and lime juice
- Aloe vera juice
You are what you eat! If these stuff do your body good, it can also do the same thing to your tresses! Just be patient as natural treatments need a little bit more time for the results to be apparent. The results will surely be worth it! Not to mention, it costs you close to none (especially if you just snatched these goodies from your mom’s supply)
2. Invest in the Best Flat Iron for Thick Hair
Getting a quality hair straightening iron is one of the best investments you can make for yourself.
Thank heavens for the evolution of these hot babies. Can you just imagine how women from the ‘50s to ‘70s straighten their curly locks? You might need the entire morning to do this! Those ancient iron rods look like a whole lot of work too.
Dry hair from ironing could be a thing of the past! With innovation and the latest technology, the best hair straightener also have the capacity to nourish your hair.
The best professional flat irons are made from ceramic, titanium and tourmaline. Some of these professional straighteners could cost a bit more than what you’re expecting. But you only want the best for your hair! Besides, can you imagine the savings that you can get from skipping your regular visit to your favorite hair stylist?
How To Straighten Hair Perfectly With Your Flat Iron
Now that you have chosen the best hair straightener for your curly hair, let’s see how you will go about this process
1. Clean Your Hair First
First things first! You would always want to start with a clean canvass! Apart from maximizing the results, you’d smell great too!
You have to get rid of the residue from the hair creams that you’ve used the previous day! Applying conditioner also helps to protect your hair from the heat.
2. Dry Your Hair Thoroughly
You can dry your hair by using a blow dryer or a fan. Whatever you choose make sure not to rub your hair! That’s the perfect recipe if you want to get frizz.
Some hair dryers can work on wet hair. But if you’d ask us, we prefer to have your hair dried before grabbing your flat iron. Your hair is at its weakest when it’s wet. Subjecting it to high heat when wet can result in fried locks!
3. Apply A Heat Protectant
Whenever possible, make use of heat protectants. These are specially formulated to nourish your hair and maintain its shine even when subjected to high temperatures.
Remember to determine the appropriate temperature setting for your hair type! That’s a lower temperature setting for fine hair and a higher one for thick and coarse hair.
Don’t set it too high just because you’d want to cut the time in half! Fried hair will never be in. Keep this in mind and your hair will be fabulously straight.
Another rule of life to remember! If you smell something burning or you hear your hair starting to sizzle, stop!
If you don’t have a heat protectant in hand or you don’t want to use any chemical based styling product, you can always go au naturel by using the stuff from your pantry! Regularly moisturize your hair with these kitchen essentials.
4. Learn How to Do Sectioning Properly
If you have thin hair, all you need to do is glide those tresses under the plates and you’re ready to rock the world! But what if you’ve got a full head of curly hair?
It’s all about proper sectioning! Let’s dive into this!
1. The basic norm of hair sectioning is to divide your hair into 7 parts – top, L and R nape, L and R crown, left side and right side)
2. Section the front part of your hair and separate it by piling it on top of the head. Secure it with a clip.
3. Begin to section the left and right side. Gather about one-third of the hair, isolate and secure each with a butterfly clip.
4. Section the crowns. Gather hair from one end of your left ear to the other end of the right ear.
This is now your crown section, you just have to divide this into two (left and right). Isolate and secure each layer with a butterfly clip.
5. The remaining hair at the bottom of your head will be your nape section. Divide this into two (left and right side) and secure each with clips.
Now that you’re done with the sectioning, it’s time to do your DIY hair straightening!
Remember to use a comb or a pick to lift the hair from each section. The amount of hair that you have to gather depends on how large the plates are. Larger plates can accommodate more hair with every single pass.
5. We’ve Got Some More Tips for You!
- Completely dry your hair before ironing it.
- Lightly brush your hair to remove as many tangles as you can.
- Set the flat iron at the temperature suited for your hair type.
- Create a bit of tension when you’re pulling your hair down as you iron it.
- Take an inch of hair per section at a time (unless you have wider plates).
- Use slow controlled movements when gliding the plates along your hair.
If you rush into this, you won’t get the desired results and you’d have to do it again, subjecting your hair to more heat for that matter! But don’t let the plates stay on too long on hair as well, unless you want to end up with fried locks.
And oh! If you have thicker hair, don’t forget to consider the weight of your flat iron! You don’t want it to feel like an arm workout each time, do you?
Now you’re ready to make heads turn with your stunning, straight, and smooth hairstyle!
Permanent Hair Straightening Side Effects
We know you have those moments when you’re just getting tired of having to plug your hair iron every single day! True enough, it can be tiring at times, especially if you’re rushing for that Monday presentation!
You might be asking yourself, “ Is permanent hair straightening bad for me?”
“Are the side effects worth the risk?”
Before you decide to have your locks permanently straightened out. Let’s take a look at what these methods (errr, harsh chemicals) can do to your hair.
Hair straightening products have a plethora of chemicals (some are even of an unknown origin) in their formulation. There’s no way to tell if you’re allergic to one of these until you have applied it to your hair.
Allergic reactions cause itching or in elevated cases, it can cause pruritus (severe itching). Once your scalp itches, you’d be scratching it raw like crazy!
It can also cause dandruff, which is quite itchy too! Another problem that dandruff presents is a fungal infection, this is one nasty itch we are talking about,
If your dandruff goes untreated, it further reacts to the oil in your scalp that can lead to fungal infection.
3. Split ends
Split ends occur when you have very dry hair. The harsh chemicals in those straightening products suck the moisture and life out of your locks, leaving it severely dry and damage.
Ladies who have opted to go for a rebond or a permanent blow-dry often go for a trim to remove all those unsightly split ends.
4. End Product: Hair That Doesn’t Move With You
If you have gotten a rebond before, you’d be able to relate with this! Permanent hair straightening often leaves your tresses looking dull and boring. Every time the wind blows into your face, your hair stays put in the same exact angle. Whenever you turn your back when someone calls you, your hair doesn’t move!
Bottom line, your hair will look lifeless! As if it has been glued to your scalp. You’re much better off with a wig with that scenario. Instead of getting pin straight hair, you’re going to get a hairstyle looking like it was glued to your scalp.
And oh! It’s a big no-no to tie your hair up or even tuck it behind your ears! Say hello to the scorching summer with that hairstyle if you can!
5. Hair Fall
Hair fall is an inevitable thing once your tresses are soaked in these solutions. The harsh chemicals in hair straightening products break the keratin bonds of the hair to permanently straighten it. This weakens the integrity of your hair and once that happens, it breaks off easily.
The result worsens if improper techniques were used to straighten the hair. You might be left with a big patch of short and broken hair if this happens!
6. Destroys the Hair’s Natural Texture
I have had my fair share of hair rebonding a few years back. It was actually so addicting that I had to do touch-ups every six months. I’ve been doing that for a couple of years until it dawned on me that I have to stop this addiction to save my hair!
Did I go bald? Not yet, but my hair’s natural texture was completely destroyed!
When you have just rebonded your hair, your stylists would not recommend cutting it after the treatment. They’d rather do the haircut first then the straightening procedure after. Why is that? Because these chemicals destroy your hair’s natural texture even on the first session!
I tried going for a short bob months after I had the straightening procedure. And boy, did I ever regret that! With the lost texture and life, my hair was akin to a broomstick, a very short one to make it worse. No amount of hair products made it look appealing, to say the least. It feels like I’m wearing a Pharoah’s hair cover, again the very short one.
7. Dry And Lifeless Hair
At first glance, we can tell if you have had your hair permanently straightened. How’s that? Virtually 90 percent of chemically treated hair becomes dull and lifeless! Unless you have a hefty budget for your weekly visit to the salon for smoothening treatments, you will surely end up with less than desirable hair! ( that will cost you a hefty sum!)
What could be worse than this? Subjecting your already dry hair to harsh chemicals! Yes, it does happen. In one’s pursuit of beauty and convenience, sometimes your hair takes the fall.
These are just some of the ill effects that you can experience when your hair is subjected to harsh chemicals. For the very few, it did cost them a full head of hair!
That’s a great risk because we really don’t know the entire contents of each straightening product.
Now, are you still willing to take the risk?
“Oh! how I wish my hair is as smooth and straight like hers!”
We’ve heard these sentiments from a lot of curly haired girls! But never fret! You don’t need to subject your tresses to harsh chemicals just to get that straight and sleek hairstyle. After all, you still want to enjoy your God-given curls from time to time right?
Listed are several of the most frequently asked questions on the best hair straighteners in the market.
Keep on scrolling! We’re sure you’ve been asking the same thing too!
1. “Which Is the Best Flat Iron- Ceramic, Titanium or Tourmaline?”
Well, it depends on your hair type! Based on our flat iron reviews, ceramic hair straighteners work best on fine hair. If you have a thicker and fuller hair, you will love the work of a titanium hair iron. Tourmaline is ideal for those wanting a little bit more moisture in their locks.
If your hair side on the brittle side, a ceramic and tourmaline flat iron will give you the best results without draining the life out of your hair.
2. “Is There Any Flat Iron That I Can Use for My Wet Hair?”
There are a few flat irons that can be used from wet to set. But we aren’t really encouraging you to work on wet hair. Straightening it when it’s not yet dry can lead to frizz and breakage. If your flat iron is deemed safe on wet hair, do it on “as per need basis” only. Moreover, you’d get the best results if you iron it dry.
3. “What Hair Temperature Should I Set My Hair To?”
It’s a very crucial question that everyone should take seriously, especially for those who are newbies to this beauty routine. If you’re in a rush, you’d be tempted to set your flat iron at the highest temperature.
But don’t! Even if you are using a professional flat iron, this can still cause damage to your hair. A low temperature is advisable if you have fine and thin hair while a higher temperature of 410- 450 degrees may be necessary to smoothen out very thick and coarse hair.
The right temperature will ensure that you get straight results with just one or two passes. This saves your locks from too much contact with the heated plates as well.
4. “My Flat Iron Feels Too Hot to Touch! Is It Normal?”
Some of the best hair straighteners can get too hot when set at the highest temperature. This is especially true if you’re working with a titanium flat iron, as this material tends to get hot quickly.
Get a protective glove so that your hands won’t burn!
5. “Do I Need A Hair Protectant Every Time I Iron My Hair?”
If you have one at hand, why not use them? This will add another layer of protection from the heat. Some straightening irons come with argan oil that you can use to minimize the frizz after ironing it. If you don’t have one, just make sure to regularly moisturize your hair, especially if you’re using your irons every single day.
6. “ Do I Have to Clean My Hair Iron?”
If you have been using hair products when you iron, it’s an absolute yes! Any residue left on the plates will leave off a burnt smell. It can also lessen the effectiveness of your professional flat iron too. You don’t want to transfer that awful smell to your hair do you? Besides, you get the best results if you start on a clean slate.
Just a few passes with the best hair straightener in the market and you’re on your way to hair Nirvana! Whether you’re preparing for a board meeting, a dinner date or you just want to look fab while strolling in the mall, the right flat iron can help you achieve that sleek and straight hair.
Get that a hairstyle like you have just walked out of the salon without even getting out of your front door! A lot of the best flat irons in the market are convenient to bring for traveling too! You can enjoy the coiffed up look even if you’re miles away from home! Plus you don’t need to shell out extra cash for salon services. It can be ridiculously high in some parts of the world. Not to mention the language barrier that you have to work through!
You can bring your GHD Max Styler anywhere! It’s equipped with a dual voltage so you don’t need to worry if you will be able to use it if you’re in Milan for a honeymoon or in Bali for a quick sojourn. Transform your curly ‘do to a coiffed up straight hairstyle in just a few minutes! It’s the best choice on our list.
Let us know what’s yours!